Super Bowl Recipe Recap
Posted on February 6, 2014 by Amy Krasner
Even though the Super Bowl was not the most exciting game this year, and the commercials were not particularly entertaining, I still managed to enjoy the long Sunday afternoon. I truly am not the biggest fan of watching football (tennis is way more interesting), however, I do really love getting together with friends and eating good food. The Super Bowl was a great excuse to make some delicious food and share it with friends.
We hosted the game at our house this year. It was really cozy with a small group of friends and a nice warm fire. Before everyone came over, my friend Kat from Vivacious Dish came early to help me whip up some quick and fresh recipes. On weeknights I usually don’t use recipes because I find that it takes me longer to cook. Instead, I just throw a few things together that are easy to make. When I have people over for dinner or in this case, to watch the game, I like to try some new recipes to spice it up a bit.
Here are the recipes that we made this year:
2 flavors of Kale Chips– one plain version and one cheesy/spicy version. [Recipe Link]
Grilled Zucchini Pin-Wheel Appetizer
- 5 Zucchinis- cut length-wise into 1 inch strips
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Homemade pesto
- Feta Cheese
- Heat a grill pan on medium-high heat. Or turn grill on medium heat.
- Lightly brush both sides of zucchini strips with olive oil. Grill zucchini on 1 side for 3 minutes, flip over and grill on the other side for 2 minutes (should still be al dente- not too soft)
- Spread a thin layer of pesto on top of zucchini strips. Then spread a thin layer of goat cheese feta (or cow feta) on top of pesto.
- Roll each strip into pin-wheels (see picture) and pierce with a toothpick.
Delicious Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies from one of my favorite blogs Against All Grain with some fresh cut strawberries and whipped organic yogurt that my friend Kat bought from the Little Italy Farmers Market.
Let’s just say that no one complained that there weren’t any M & M’s and that we didn’t order Pizza. There was plenty of food and it was all made with fresh ingredients + a little bit of love.
Hopefully you will try some of these recipes the next time that you have company over. I would love to hear what you made for the Super Bowl this year! Please share in the comments below.