A Perfect Treat For Fall: Pumpkin Spice Bites
Posted on October 13, 2014 by Amy Krasner
If you know me, you probably already have heard about the 80/20 rule. I strongly believe that food should not be restrictive and that delicious treats should be enjoyed as part of a healthy balance. The 80/20 rule means that 80% of the time, you choose foods that nourish your body and 20% of the time you can eat whatever you want. As soon as someone tells us that we can’t have something, we want it more.
If you want to take this 80/20 rule to the next level, you can start to experiment with ‘healthier treats.’ This means that you would be using cleaner ingredients that don’t have a negative affect on your health. The Pumpkin Spice Bites recipe below is a really easy healthy treat to try. There are only 6 ingredients! And, the only sweetener in this recipe are the dried dates. I also love how this recipe has some healthy fats (the almonds) to help slow down the absorption of the sugars from the dates.
Try out this recipe, guilt free! Remember to look at the serving size- because even healthy treats should be eaten in moderation.
Pumpkin Spice Bites
Makes: 16-18 bites
Serving size: 2 bites
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1 cup dried dates, pitted
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch sea salt
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Place almonds into a food processor and grind into a ‘fine’ almond meal. (Don’t take it too far or it will turn into almond butter)
- Add the dates, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla extract, and sea salt to the almond meal in the processor and process until a smooth ‘dough-like’ mixture is formed
- Place shredded coconut on a medium size plate.
- Take a pinch of the mixture and roll in into a ball in between your hands
- Roll the date and almond ball in the shredded coconut until coated evenly
- Place in the fridge in a sealed container until a few minutes before you are ready to serve