Chicken Lettuce Wraps (Gluten-Free)
Posted on September 30, 2014 by Amy Krasner
Chicken lettuce wraps are on of my favorite healthy weeknight meals. They are so easy to make and they taste just as good as when you order them in a restaurant. You might want to double (or triple) this recipe so that you have leftovers. You can throw the chicken filling over a salad for lunch the next day! Or put it over some quinoa! So many options..
You might be wondering what makes this recipe ‘gluten-free.’ Traditional lettuce wraps that you get at restaurants are made with soy sauce. Soy sauce is one of those sneaky ingredients that has gluten in it. If you are at a sushi restaurant, you can ask for ‘tamari’ which is a gluten-free soy sauce- most sushi restaurants that I have been to in San Diego have tamari- you just have to ask them for it. Also, don’t forget that there is gluten in teryaki sauce too.
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 lb ground chicken (dark or white meat)
- 5 oz shitake mushrooms, finely diced
- 3 scallions (aka green onions), sliced
- 3 medium cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 3 Tbsp coconut aminos or tamari
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon sriracha (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon raw honey
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 16 butter lettuce leaves
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- In a large stainless steel saute pan, melt coconut oil over medium heat.
- Add the ground chicken and saute with a wooden spoon until almost cooked through
- Add the mushrooms, scallions, ginger, and coconut aminos. Cook until onions and mushrooms are soft.
- Stir in white wine vinegar, dijon, sriracha, honey, and salt. Add chopped mint at the very end before serving.
- Serve this meal 'family style.' Put the chicken mixture in a bowl and give each person a few lettuce wraps. Use the lettuce leaf as a "tortilla."
- Add Avocado slices on top of the chicken mixture.