Alternative Pasta Series #1: Cauliflower Mac & Cheese
Posted on April 2, 2015 by Amy Krasner
When I was growing up- pasta was one of my go-to foods. I especially liked macaroni and cheese. Pasta is one of those things that is hard to give up if you are trying to go #glutenfree or if you are just trying to eat #lowcarb.
So, this month, I will be sharing 3 alternative pasta recipes to help you feel less ‘deprived’ and more excited about making these healthier choices.
I got together with my favorite San Diego photographers, Mike and Kate from Michael and Kate Photography to shoot pictures of the recipes for this series. They make these recipes look extra delicious- if I might say so myself.
Here is the first recipe on the list: Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- 5 cups cauliflower florets, cut into bite size pieces
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup chicken stock (or homemade broth)
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour
- 1 organic egg, beaten
- 2 Tbsps Nutritional yeast
- 2 cups organic mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a baking dish with unsalted butter
- Place cauliflower pieces in steamer basket, add a pinch of salt. Steam until al dente (not too soft, not too hard)
- Spread cauliflower pieces evenly at the bottom of the baking dish
- In a saute pan over medium heat, heat up the coconut milk- add a pinch of salt and pepper
- Add the broth and keep stirring- then add the coconut flour heat until simmering
- Take pan off the heat, add the egg and nutritional yeast to the sauce and stir with a fork until well incorporated
- The sauce will thicken- pour over the cauliflower. Add the cheese evenly and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Turn the oven onto broil for 3-5 minutes to get a nice brown coloring on top.
- Nutritional yeast can be found at any health food store near the spices or in the bulk section. It has a cheesy flavor and is filled with B vitamins.
If you want to get notifications for future recipes, be sure to ‘follow’ my blog and ‘like’ my facebook page.