Kale & Almond Pesto
Posted on April 29, 2013 by Amy Krasner
You are most likely familiar with the classic pesto made with basil and pine nuts. Today, we are about to take pesto to a whole new level. In 10 minutes, you will have a delicious alternative pesto that will add a flavor kick to many of your favorite foods.
Some suggested uses for pesto include:
- On chicken, fish, or eggs
- Combined with a quinoa salad
- As a dip for veggie sticks/ whole grain crackers
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1 small bunch of kale (dinosaur or curly kale), de-stemmed
- 3 basil leaves
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 medium clove of garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil (or more for creamier consistency)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (to taste)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F degrees. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and spread almonds out evenly. Place in oven for 10 minutes or until toasted. (Be sure not to burn.)
- Sprinkle 1/4 tsp sea salt over kale in a bowl and massage for 3 minutes (or until wilted).
- Blend all ingredients into food processor until well combined. For creamier pesto, add more olive oil.
Nutrition fact: Consider this pesto as a healthy fat addition to your snacks and meals. The almonds and olive oil will keep you feeling full for longer when combined with a carbohydrate and/or a protein. Plus this pesto gives you a great excuse to sneak more leafy greens and herbs into your diet.